Nature Tour – Asa Wright Nature Centrefrom
Set off on a tour that is truly for the bird and nature lovers, as you explore the famous Asa Wright Nature Centre, a 200-acre (80-ha) bird sanctuary in the middle of rainforest. Spot tons of feeding hummingbirds from a historic veranda and take an informative guided walk through the forest.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Tour Style Tour Category
Activity Level Easy - Moderate
Group Size Small Group
Get picked up from your hotel in Port of Spain for the rainforest drive to the bird sanctuary. Hang out on the open veranda overlooking the forested mountains of Arima valley, where you can watch dozens of hummingbirds come right up to the deck – feeding from hanging containers and nearby flowers. Watch for tegu lizards and the lively agouti hunting for scraps beneath the bird feeders.
Next, go on a guided walk through the forest to learn about medicinal herbs, exotic birds, and the history of the nature centre. You will surely spot humorous fellows like the bearded bellbird and the dancing manakins.
Time to relax on the veranda with a cool drink. Lunch is buffet-style or more basic, it’s all up to you (cost on own).
There is a fresh water pool with a small waterfall nearby, you can go and discover on your own and take a refreshing dip. Hummingbirds galore all around, photo ops like never before!
Pick up time:
- 9.00am – 5.00pm
- Rainforest drive with beautiful vistas
- Jungle lodge with fantastic bird-watching from panoramic veranda of main house
- Variety of hummingbirds at close range
- Easy bird-watching hike on “Discovery Trail”
- Local lunch
- Comfortable and spacious veranda overlooking rainforest
- Small fresh water pool for a dip (fed by natural spring)
- Hotel pick up and drop off Port of Spain and environs
- Driver guide
- Entrance fee
- Comfortable clothing
- Closed-toe shoes for nature walk
- Binoculars (optional)
- Rain gear (optional, as a precaution)